BUYERS: LET THE SEARCH BEGIN!
Here are some important questions to ask yourself to narrow down your needs and wants, and to figure out what type and size of home and area fits you best. By clearly setting out your priorities in advance, you can help save yourself a great deal of time and trouble later.
1. How large a home do you need? Think of what kinds of activities you do in your house, how many people will be living there, and how much time you spend inside and outside your home. Do you need several bedrooms, more than one bathroom, a home office or a two-car garage?
2. Are you planning on making any lifestyle changes in the near future? For example, are you planning on having children? Do you have teenagers who will be moving away soon? Or are you close to retirement, and looking to downsize to a smaller home? The space and accessibility of the home may be especially important in these cases.
3. Are there any special features you’d like your home to have? Features such as air conditioning, a swimming pool or a spare room for a hobby? Special features can be added to a search by your agent, so if it's important to you make sure to keep it in mind.
4. What kind of neighbourhood do you want to live in? Remember to take into account such features as how easy it will be to commute to work, whether your children will have a school close by, and how close you will be to family, friends and safe recreational areas and facilities. It's not a bad idea to take a drive around the areas you may want to live in, or go out and view some properties with an agent to get a feel for the neighbourhoods - agents can also be a useful resource to provide you with some insight into neighbourhoods you may not be familiar with.
5. Would you prefer to live in a new home or a resale? New homes offer such advantages as more personalized choices, up-to-date appliances and finishings, and often lower maintenance costs. But resale homes can provide easier access to more established services and mature landscaping, and may save you from having to pay GST/HST on your purchase.
6. What type of home would you feel most comfortable living in? The choices available on the market today range from single-family detached houses, semi-detached and duplexes to townhouses, modular homes and condominiums. All of these types have different appeal, and are affected by your interests and price range.
When you’re ready to start looking for a home, give MoveRight a call to chat with an agent and get set up on our email software so you can see what’s out there in the market. We can also keep you informed about listings coming up before they're posted on public websites - you may get the scoop on the perfect home, or at least get a fuller picture of your options.