A Moving Timeline
A Moving Timeline
1-2 Months Prior:
- Do a walk-through. Decide what you want to keep, sell, or donate.
- Arrange for a transfer of all important records.
- Book the movers. Luckily, MoveRight arranges this for you, and PAYS!
- If you are renting, give your landlord proper notice.
- If you’re in an apartment building, book the elevator for your moving time.
- Notify your home services or arrange new services.
- Transfer any memberships.
- Change the address with any government services.
- Call your utility companies to give them a heads-up that you will be switching addresses.
3 Weeks Prior:
- Arrange for your pets to be transported.
- Collect all items, lent out or in holding.
- Dispose of flammable materials.
- Change your address with the post office, bank, credit cards, or any other services. Canada Post will allow you to change your address online and will forward any mail to your new address.
- Do not buy more food than you need to before moving.
- Collect boxes or arrange to use a reusable box provider. Ask MoveRight for details
2 Weeks Prior:
- Schedule a date for disconnects and prepare any needed materials.
- Start packing unessential items.
- Arrange for a babysitter, if needed.
A Week Prior:
- Finish packing. Make sure valuables are in a safe place and easily accessible.
- Clean and dry the fridge and freezer.
- Take down items such as curtain rods, shelves, light fixtures, or anything on the walls. But nothing you’ve included as staying put in your listing/your agreement of sale with the new owners.
- Do a final check for overlooked items. Make sure windows and doors are locked, lights off, utilities disconnected, and the keys have been left for whoever is moving in.
- If you have movers, make sure areas are clear of debris for them to move freely. Keep pets and rambunctious young ones close to you.
- Make sure the utilities are connected.
- Take another look to see if where you want the furniture to go is correct.
- When movers arrive, make sure all items are present.
- Plan or make arrangements for any installations.